[LLVMdev] LLVM Alias Analysis

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:45:56 PDT 2015

On 4/9/15 11:13 PM, Wan Zhiyuan wrote:
> Hi Xin,
> Thank you for your reply!

There is the DSA points-to analysis in the poolalloc project.  It works
with an older version of LLVM and will be more difficult to use, but
it's a unification-based analysis.  Just be forewarned that it's not as
accurate as it was when originally written (due to reduced field
sensitivity due to changes to LLVM over time; it's a long story
explained during another recent thread).

> I have tried the 3 alias analyses you have mentioned on LLVM 3.5:
> 1) $ opt -globalsmodref-aa -aa-eval < xxx.bc > /dev/null
> (May-alias response 100%)
> 2) $ opt -tbaa -aa-eval < xxx.bc > /dev/null
> (May-alias response 100%)
> 3) $ opt -cfl-aa -aa-eval < xxx.bc> /dev/null
>  (Unknown command line argument '-cfl-aa')
>
> It seems that they are not working properly. Could you please give
> some advice?

That doesn't look right at all, but I'm not sure what's causing the
issue.  That said, since we don't know how xxx.bc was created (or what
it contains), it'll be hard for anyone to pinpoint the problem.

Regards,

John Criswell

> And I was wondering if these alias analyses can produce alias results
> as precise as andersen or steensgaard.
>
> Thank you!
> Zhiyuan
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Xin Tong <trent.tong at gmail.com
> <mailto:trent.tong at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Zhiyuan
>
>     LLVM has globalsmodref-aa for global variables, TBAA - type based
>     alias analysis and CFL-AA.
>
>     Xin
>
>     On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Wan Zhiyuan <wanzhiyuan at gmail.com
>     <mailto:wanzhiyuan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Dear all,
>     > I was wondering if there are some reliable alias analyses build
>     on top of
>     > LLVM other than basicaa.
>     >
>     > Thank you!
>     >
>     > Zhiyuan
>     >
>     > LLVM Developers mailing list
>     > LLVMdev at cs.uiuc.edu <mailto:LLVMdev at cs.uiuc.edu>
>     http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>     >

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell