[LLVMdev] "distinct" metadata nodes are ...?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Mon Apr 6 18:21:28 PDT 2015

> On 2015-Apr-06, at 15:58, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +dexonsmith
>

> -- Sean Silva
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Robinson, Paul <Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> Aha, okay.  I had noticed that the column-info hack went away.  So the distinct-ness implies the scope implicit in the inlined call, which later on will be turned into the explicit inlined_subroutine entry.  That seems… indirect.
>

> I have to say, the LangRef page's words about "merge based on content" is not really to the point.  It's like saying the purpose of a street-corner STOP sign is to make you stop.  That's the mechanism it uses, but it's not why the sign is there.  It would be great if somebody would clarify what distinct-ness is actually good for.

`MDNode`s have a constant-like mode, where they try to unique themselves.
This never worked all the time, and `MDNode`s don't really behave like
constants anyway (since they can be changed freely after creation,
affecting other `llvm::Module`s in the same `LLVMContext` in potentially
horrible ways).  They also have another mode where they're not uniqued,
but it used to require "strange" (actually somewhat common) operations to
get into it, and wouldn't be serialized in bitcode/assembly.

During the `Metadata`/`Value` split I formalized this other mode, called
it "distinct", made it serialize correctly to/from bitcode and assembly,
and added a way to ask for it explicitly.

The short version: "distinct" means "not uniqued".

It's not really clear to me what would be better for LangRef.  Patches
welcome!