[LLVMdev] Sharing and re-using Codegen'd LLVM IR

ajay gopalakrishnan ajgopala at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:17:25 PDT 2015

Hi,

Thanks for all the help provided so in getting upto speed on using LLVM
libraries for codegen. I am reading the Getting started with LLVM libraries
book and it has been helpful as well.

However, I am not able to find an answer to the following. I would
appreicate help on this-

1. What is the performance of loading pre-generated IR code and attaching
it to an existing LLVM module?

2. Reference manual and book recommend that no 2 threads should share an
LLVMContext object. If this recommendation is followed, how do share the
code generated by one thread with another thread? Do I have to dump IR to a
file and load that IR into another module belonging to another LLVMContext?

3. If I cross-link 2 LLVM Modules at Compile/JIT does the code from one
module get inlined during the optimization phases? If I want to guarantee
inlining how should link modules?

-Ajay