[LLVMdev] Barking Up The Wrong Tree?

Eric Mader emader at gmx.us
Mon Sep 29 20:08:12 PDT 2014

I'm trying to port a bunch of code from MacOS X to Windows. The code is
a mixture of C, C++11 and Objective-C. (Some of the C++ code has bits of
Objective-C mixed in, just for spice ;-) Since it builds on the Mac with
clang, I thought that building on Windows with clang would mean that I
wouldn't have to make a bunch of changes just related to a different
compiler. For example, if I do a straight port using Visual Studio, I
have the replace all the uses of blocks with either callbacks or lambdas.

Having spent a couple of hours on this, I'm now wondering if perhaps
it's not as straight-forward as I thought. For example, the
toolset.props file adds the -fmsc-version=1800 compiler flag, which
fools the conditional compilation in my header files into acting just
like they do with the Visual Studio compiler. Also, I'm seeing an error
where different header files have different ideas about the type of
t_size, but that my just be something I have to fix.

So, bottom line. Is my assumption that using clang on Windows would
simplify the porting process a valid one?

Regards,
Eric Mader