[LLVMdev] proposal to avoid zlib dependency.

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Sep 23 07:42:31 PDT 2014

> On Sep 23, 2014, at 1:29 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM, Alex Rosenberg <alexr at leftfield.org <mailto:alexr at leftfield.org>> wrote:
> Is your answer the same if we're talking about an asm version of zlib that's faster than the compiled version? Because that's a thing.
>
> If zlib is our bottleneck... wow we have bigger issues.
>
> And as we work on a compiler, I kinda hope we can produce a reasonable blob of asm in most cases. If not, we should probably get on that.

Dang it. Beaten to the punch. I was just going to ask for a bug report that we apparently generate suboptimal code for that. :)

Taking my trolling hat back off, I actually am interested in whether it’s reasonable for the compiler to do significantly better here (and on other similar kinds of code). Alex, can you elaborate a bit?

-Jim