[LLVMdev] How to translate library functions into LLVM IR bitcode?

Liwei Yang yangliwei.uestc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:29:45 PDT 2014

Hi Johannes,

Actually, I'm working in the same scenario, i.e. configure + make of a
benchmark/program/library like you said. I've got your point of using this
script as a replacement to generate .bc files instead of a executable.
That's truly helpful and has already answered my original question.

Now I'm actually moving a step further. Take the same example in your
reply, say, if I have a bunch of .c files, where a.c calls functions
defined in b.c, b.c calls functions defined in c.c and so on. I know that I can
compile them into a .bc file by using this command:
~/llvm_link -I <HEADER_DIR> a.c b.c c.c d.c -emit-llvm -c -o linked.bc

But the problem is all of the files which define the callees need to be
specified manually. Is it possible that the source files in which the
callees are defined can be automatically inferred, compiled and linked? If
so, then we can just simply use this command below to include all the
callees required by in a.c:
~/llvm_link -I <HEADER_DIR> a.c -emit-llvm -c -o linked.bc

Though we can define the dependency for the source files defining callees
in makefile, it's still a manual specification there. So that's why I'm
looking into this further step.