[LLVMdev] Postponing more passes in LTO

Daniel Stewart stewartd at codeaurora.org
Wed Sep 17 06:46:25 PDT 2014

Looking at the existing flow of passes for LTO, it appears that most all
passes are run on a per file basis, before the call to the gold linker. I'm
looking to get people's feedback on whether there would be an advantage to
waiting to run a number of these passes until the linking stage. For
example, I believe I saw a post a little while back about postponing
vectorization until the linking stage. It seems to me that there could be an
advantage to postponing (some) passes until the linking stage, where the
entire graph is available. In general, what do people think about the idea
of a different flow of LTO where more passes are postponed until the linking
stage?

Daniel Stewart

--

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by
The Linux Foundation