[LLVMdev] failed folding with constant array with opt -O3

Peng Cheng gm4cheng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:55:38 PDT 2014

Thanks for the inputs!  Adding basicaa works.  And extra transforms got the
ideal optimized code.

I originally thought GVN has AG dependency on alias analysis, so it should
get the expected elimination.  While digging into the code, it turned out
that NoAA is provided to GVN by default.  Therefore, to get meaningful
results from GVN, basicaa is needed.

In summary, to get the original ir to the optimized code, there are two
sets of transformations.  One is through sroa, which needs the target
layout; and the other is using gvn, which needs a nontrivia aa.

Any thoughts on which one is cheaper in computational cost to eliminate the
load?  sroa seems the one to me.

Best,
-Peng