[LLVMdev] WCET optimizations

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:43:39 PDT 2014

Dear Chao,

Yes, you can use LLVM to transform code to improve its Worse Case
Execution Time (WCET).  I was involved in the PREM project that used a
combination of LLVM and special hardware to reduce WCET by storing the
data needed by a computation in the cache so that the bus could be used
exclusively for I/O
(http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1989765.1990504&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE). I
suspect there are other transforms that can improve WCET, but since I
know nothing about them, you'll have to read up on them on your own.

As for including your changes into the LLVM distribution, that has a
higher bar for entry.  Whatever transforms you write to improve WCET
will need to be usable by others, and you'll need someone committed to
maintaining the transforms long term (which usually means having enough
users interested in using your transforms that it's worth making a long
term maintenance commitment).

Regards,

John Criswell