[LLVMdev] Instrumenting Various Types Using Single Instrumentation Function

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 17:13:56 PDT 2014

Dear Manish,

Union types in LLVM are points to structures, so casting 8, 16, 32, and
64 bit values to a union pointer is probably not what you want.

I think the easiest thing to do is to:

1) Change the function in your run-time library to take the largest
integer size supported by your target.

2) Change the instrumentation code to cast all values (including
pointers) to this type.

I'm not sure if CastInst::isCastable() is what you want to use to check
to see that the casting can be done.  I would just go ahead and use the
bit-cast since, for the call, you should always be casting from a type
with lower bit-width to higher bit-width.  If you enable assertions when
you build LLVM, then you should get an assertion if you try to create a
Bitcast instruction that isn't going to work.

Regards,

John Criswell