[LLVMdev] LLVM Weekly - #35, Sep 1st 2014

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 11:09:45 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:

> [...]
> SCAF](
> http://blog.quarkslab.com/scaf-source-code-analysis-framework-based-on-clang-pre-alpha-preview.html
> ),
> a Source Code Analysis Framework built on Clang. It promises a release
> soon.
>
> The [VMKit project website](http://vmkit.llvm.org/) has this week been
> [updated](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL216831) to mark the project as
> retired.
> VMKit was a project to implement virtual machines such as a JVM on top of
> LLVM. People interested in restarting the project are encouraged to get in
> touch with Gaƫl Thomas.
>
> AMD and Microsoft have [released a C++ AMP compiler targeting version 1.2
> of
> the specification](
> http://sdtimes.com/amd-announces-heterogeneous-c-amp-language-developers/
> ).
> The C++ AMP (Accelerated Massive Parallelism) compiler is of course based
> on
> LLVM and Clang, and can be [found
> here](https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/cppamp-driver-ng/wiki/Home).
>

> ## On the mailing lists
>
> * Manuel Klimek has provided a [quick run-down of the state of his work on
> Clang C++ refactoring
> tools](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/38657).
> He
> reports there are a number of standalone, single-use refacotring tools but
> more work needs to be done on generalising and integrating them. The plan
> is
> to push more of these tools to tools-extra (where clang-rename lives), make
> them integratable as a library, integrate them into libclang and then
> integrate them into projects like [ycmd](https://github.com/Valloric/ycmd
> ).
>
> * Robin Morisset has been working on optimisations for lowering of atomics
> and
> has [asked for input on a fence elimination
> algorithm](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/76400)
> he's been thinking about. He has outlined two possible implementation
> routes
> he would like feedback on.
>
> * A discussion about [improving
> llvm-objdump](
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/76278),
> kicked off by Steve King, makes an interesting read. I'm looking forward
> to a
> future with a more featureful llvm-objdump that prints symbols of branch
> targets by default.
>
> * David Blaikie has started a discussion about [supporting -gmlt in
> LLVM/Clang](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/76341
> ).
> Vital to having any chance of understanding this thread is to know that
> gmlt
> refers to debug info containing 'minimal line tables', a feature that [was

Sorry, yeah - I might've assumed a fair bit of specific context there.
Actually Alexey already previously implemented -gmlt, but -gfission sort of
breaks users who really want to find at least backtrace-necessary data in
the original binary, rather than in side-files (dwo/dwp). To address that
I'll be moving the logic for implementing -gmlt down from the frontend
(clang) to LLVM.

In doing so, once it's in the backend, it can be more selective (rather
than simpler debug info describing /every/ function - we can just describe
the functions with inlined functions within them) & reduce even the normal
-gmlt a bit.