[LLVMdev] Adding masked vector load and store intrinsics

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Tue Oct 28 09:30:15 PDT 2014

I would have no issue promoting some of the fundamental floating point operations that are currently intrinsics to instructions, though I don’t think there’s a strong impetus to do so at this time.

The only “deep” reasons for the guidance to start with intrinsics is (1) it’s more work to add an instruction, and (2) in theory the instruction opcode space is bounded, though this has never been a practical problem.  The advantages include better compile-time (not having to string-match function names), more compact bitcode representation, and cleaner IR syntax particularly vis-a-vis type overloading.

There’s a big qualitative difference between fabs and these masked operations, mostly because of the degree of type overloading you intend to support.  I am very concerned that the IR that will contain these constructs will be dramatically harder to read because of it.

—Owen