[LLVMdev] Recent changes in -gmlt break sample profiling

Xinliang David Li xinliangli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 19:23:22 PDT 2014

The fundamental questions we need to answer are the following:
1) what is -gmlt option designed for? debugging, profiling, autofdo. Do we
expect more use cases for -gmlt?
2) can gmlt's behavior be standardized? The meaning of 'minimal' really
varies depending on the target use of the information. What is minimally
enough today may become not enough tomorrow if there is a new target use
case identified.
3) Do we have regression tests for other well established use cases, such
as asan?
4) When we need to add more debug info for -gmlt in the future for
enhancement of one of the existing use cases, is it considered a memory and
object size regression and get rejected?

For now, if the minimal debug info (after stripping out DW_TAG_subprogram
etc) already contains enough information for our need, that will be fine.
What if not (now, or in the future)?

David