[LLVMdev] Indirect call site profiling

betulb at codeaurora.org betulb at codeaurora.org
Fri Oct 24 17:26:45 PDT 2014

Hi All,

We've been working on enhancing LLVM's instrumentation based profiling by
adding indirect call target profiling support. Our goal is to add
instrumentation around indirect call sites, so that we may track the
frequently taken target addresses and their call frequencies.

The acquired data has uses in optimization of indirect function call
heavy applications. Our initial findings show that using the profile data
in optimizations would help improve the performance of some of the spec
benchmarks notably. We have a proof of concept implementation,  which we
plan to put it up for review. However, I’d like to inquire prior if there
are any plans or ongoing work done in the community to enable indirect
call target profiling support or not. Please inform if cfe-dev is a better
candidate for posting PGO related emails.

Thanks,
-Betul Buyukkurt

Employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, a Linux
Foundation Collaborative Project