[LLVMdev] debugloc metadata variation

Frédéric Riss friss at apple.com
Wed Oct 22 18:33:51 PDT 2014

> On Oct 22, 2014, at 4:57 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just working on some of the gmlt+fission debug info stuff and I came across a comment that might be relevant to reducing the number of distinct debugloc metadata nodes:
>
> "or some sub-optimal metadata that
>   // isn't structurally identical (see: file path/name info from clang, which
>   // includes the directory of the cpp file being built, even when the file name
>   // is absolute (such as an <> lookup header)))"
>
> Seems that the file path/name isn't well canonicalized so as to allow metadata level merging when linking. Might be helpful to figure out that issue at some point.

Incidentally I worked on an issue last week where the line table would get entries representing the same file, but where the file/dir split wasn’t done at the same place. I have a patch that remerges them at emission, but I was planing on investigating more the source of the duplication before I submit anything.

The cases I’ve seen have one duplicated entry though, nothing that could have a visible impact on memory consumption.

Fred