[LLVMdev] RFC: Are we ready to completely move away from the optionality of a DataLayout?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Sun Oct 19 14:20:15 PDT 2014

> On 2014 Oct 19, at 13:52, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

If you're suggesting that a given context should only support modules
with a single common data layout, that doesn't make sense to me.

Even if we don't want to support *linking* modules with different data
layouts, why wouldn't we support loading them both from bitcode in the
same context?  Seems like an awkward limitation.

Is this a concern over memory usage, when there are multiple modules
with the same data layout?  If so, could that be solved by uniquing
in the context?