[LLVMdev] oprofile support?

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Fri Oct 17 15:04:23 PDT 2014

The fact that you are getting line number information leads me to believe that whether you intended it or not you are using the old JIT (which is now gone), not MCJIT.  The “Mapping 0x7f5ed6893032 to loopy.c:13” lines come from a path called through NotifyFunctionEmitted and as far as I know nothing in MCJIT calls that.

At one time oprofile support worked completely with the old JIT.  It sounds like you might have a build where the old JIT was partially dismantled.  That may or may not be why things aren’t working for you.

With MCJIT, I would expect that oprofile support would work, minus line numbers.  I’m not sure about that though, as I haven’t tried anything with oprofile and MCJIT for a couple of years and the code has changed a lot recently.

I’m not sure this is relevant, but I seem to recall having had to run oprofile for system level profiling.  Perhaps the registration mechanism isn’t passing through enough information to associate the addresses it is registering with the process you are profiling.

Incidentally, it should be possible to get line number support with oprofile and MCJIT.  It just isn’t implemented yet.

-Andy