[LLVMdev] VMKit is retired (but you can help if you want!)

Brian Faull bfaull at cog-e.com
Fri Oct 17 08:53:13 PDT 2014

Hello again Gaël, et al -

I have returned to attempt modifications to "fix" VMKit to produce a working Java AOT!  I would like to complete the modifications to VMKit AOT, and I would sincerely appreciate your help to keep me moving in the right direction.

From your email on- and off-list, I understand that you have successfully reproduced the error I reported, and you checked in a VMKit branch ("http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/vmkit/branches/aot" ) with some additions and modifications -- thank you!  I checked out your changes, but I have some questions.

1- Build / code changes
1A- Using examples/aot/Makefile to build target aot-test
The build rule in this Makefile for "%.class.o : %.class.bc" isn't used when building intermediate target vmkit_aot/examples/aot/Release+Asserts/HelloWorld.class.o, and so it doesn't get additional flags ("-load /path/to/vmkit_aot/Release+Asserts/lib/static-gc-printer.so -j3-aot"). The generic rule "%.o : %.bc" from the included ../../Makefile.rules is used. I don't exactly know why; I thought pattern rules favored shorter stem. I moved the rule to %.class.bc.o:%.class.bc to *before* the `include` to imply preference, and it works.  Certainly there are other ways to solve this.  The same is true for examples/aot/java/Makefile .

1B- With that hack, when linking aot-test, I get the same "multiple definition of" the following symbols:
    __L__Vstatic_buf
    __L__Vvirtual_buf
    ____Vstatic_buf
    ____Vvirtual_buf
because they are defined both in HelloWorld.class.o (in libHelloWorld.a) and in /path/to/vmkit_aot/Release+Asserts/lib/libPrecompiled.a .  At first glance, the disassembly of both versions of __L__Vstatic_buf are equivalent.  I experimented with stripping these symbols from one or both of the offending objects, such as adding this line to the recipe for HelloWorld.class.o
    strip  --strip-symbol=__L__Vstatic_buf  --strip-symbol=__L__Vvirtual_buf  --strip-symbol=____Vstatic_buf  --strip-symbol=____Vvirtual_buf   $@
The result of removing the symbols from either object is indistinguishable (to me).

Can you explain these to me:
I- Where do these symbols come from?
II- What do they do?
III- How should this conflict be resolved (e.g., which version to use)?

1C- With that hack, I can build  vmkit_aot/Release+Asserts/bin/aot-test (default target of examples/aot/Makefile), but it fails with the same "Wrong stack trace" error as before:
    aot-test: JavaRuntimeJIT.cpp:381: void *j3ResolveVirtualStub(j3::JavaObject *): Assertion `FI->Metadata != __null && "Wrong stack trace"' failed.
I assume this is "the last" error. :)  I can step through in the debugger, but I don't understand what's wrong and/or what needs to be changed.

2- Documentation
In previous emails, you had said ... :
2A- you understand the problem with VMKit AOT.  Can you describe your understanding of this problem and how to fix it? Any level of detail would be helpful.

2B- you added a TODO list, but I don't see it in the repository.  Would you show me where it is? This TODO list would be very helpful for a VMKit hacker like me :)

2C- you were working on documentation of the VMKit design.  I don't mean to pester you, but this would also be very helpful for me when learning how to make any necessary changes to VMKit.

Thank you again,
Brian