[LLVMdev] whole program optimization examples?

Kevin Modzelewski kmod at dropbox.com
Mon Oct 13 17:30:38 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com> wrote:

> This is something we're currently working on for Pyston (ie we don't have
> it working yet), but I think we might get it "for free" once we finish the
> work on frame introspection.
>
> I'm not aware of any high-performance conservative GC implementations that
> are designed to be pluggable (if there are please let us know!) -- they
> typically seem pretty integrated with the VMs object model and language
> features that need to be supported.
>

> If you want a high-performance GC, you will end up integrating it with the
> VM’s object model.

Sorry, wasn't trying to knock any of the non-pluggable GCs out there, was
just trying to attest to the OP's worry that "writing your own GC is going
to be a pain" -- even though this is a problem that's been solved
repeatedly and LLVM doesn't necessarily get in your way, there's still a
lot of work to get a good GC (let alone a whole VM) running on top of LLVM.