[LLVMdev] lld coding style

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Oct 9 12:38:49 PDT 2014

On 9 October 2014 18:47, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
> We shouldn't create conventions just to work around bugs in a toolchain that
> we control.

Good point.

> I think the takeaway from that is that lots of people don't actually
> understand or agree with the LLVM naming standards in this area. I don't
> think we should do a mass rename in LLD if we aren't willing to do a mass
> rename across Clang internals, and so far no one has indicated a desire to
> do that.

Another good point. I don't think we should do a mass renaming anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, the current state is mixed because we decided
long ago to slowly refactor things as we go. I don't have the email
thread where people agreed to that, nor I think there is one, but it
used to be the argument against patches with different code style in
the past, at least in my terrible memory.

> If we limit the scope of the proposed change to removing leading underscores
> from fields, then that might be worth doing, but it's really up to you
> folks. I just don't think we're ready for a function and variable case
> unification yet.

Yet another...

Focus on the problem, fix the toolchain and the source to overcome the
problem and the rest can be done at the pace that we're doing the
rest.

cheers,
--renato