[LLVMdev] lld coding style

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Oct 8 01:55:41 PDT 2014

On 8 October 2014 05:25, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> > Up until now the thread has been about “formatting”.  You suggested renaming
> > every variable in the project!
>
> If that's what it takes.

If we're still talking about applying it to the HEAD, not the whole
history, I think it's feasible.

A blunt refactoring job would have to be one (or very few) commit(s)
and a lot of testing put on to make sure the change didn't introduce
new bugs.

A series of blunt changes would make things worse (by not knowing
where the change started/stopped). So the only alternative would be to
make small changes on all future patches, which would contradict our
other rule that formatting should go on their own patches.

> a random C++
> developer is far less likely to make the leap to work on LLD than a random
> LLVM developer is.

That's a good point. And we want to increase the number of LLVM
developers helping LLD or it'll never become an integral part of the
LLVM umbrella (like Clang did).

cheers,
--renato