[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Proposal to add Bitcode version field to bitcode file wrapper

Robinson, Paul Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com
Mon Oct 6 14:24:03 PDT 2014

One advantage to including the minor version number is that it allows the IR to evolve in more flexible ways (semantic difference without a syntactic difference) but auto-upgrade stays feasible. That is, it can help *avoid* breakages.
Another advantage would be for cases like debug-info metadata, where IIRC there's no backward compatibility at all; we just throw away old stuff. If we had a minor version in there, it becomes more reasonable to support one-minor-version backward compatibility.  (This is a use case that we would be interested in.)
--paulr