[LLVMdev] Out of source backend

Rafael Auler rafaelauler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:42:04 PST 2014

I've done this for my research project. I designed a backend to be a
loadable module for LLVM 3.3, so, in that way, I would end up with a
repository that only has the backend code, nice and neat. When building my
project, my Makefile would create a shared library that llc is able to load
and install a new backend at runtime.

But honestly, I regret doing this. I don't see the point anymore of
creating a separate project to an out-of-tree backend. I think the best
design (and simplest) is to fork the LLVM project in your private
repository and develop your backend from there, rebasing when convenient.