[LLVMdev] ARM JIT status.

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Nov 26 11:52:45 PST 2014

On 26 November 2014 at 00:14, Yichao Yu <yyc1992 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're using MCJIT on ARM to implement an OpenCL on CPU implementation. It works!
>
> Thanks. Great to hear that!!!
>
> Maybe could someone please update that page.... It's really confusing.

Hi Yichao,

So, MCJIT works well for x86 and PPC, and it works to a degree on ARM.
Tom's team has been successfully using it for OpenCL, and this is a
very good use case, but I wouldn't dare say it's "supported" on ARM
without more people showing it working on ARM on other
codebases/projects.

We could update the documentation to say ARM is supported, but the
danger in that is that people will come blazing when they find really
basic bugs on ARM. I haven't had the time yet in a long while to
investigate MCJIT, but last I checked it was working ok. We still have
some XFAIL on the tests, and that's what keeps me from claiming
support. Maybe they're bad tests, maybe it's just broken.

I'll see if I can find some time to look at this more closely and
update the docs. But the end result is the same, please use it, and if
you break it, we should fix it.

thanks,
--renato