[LLVMdev] [RFC] Embedding command line options in bitcode (PR21471)

Akira Hatanaka ahatanak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:22:52 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
wrote:

> So I am deeply concerned about the direction this is taking. I'm trying to
> catch up on the thread, but I think Chris already highlighted my issue:
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Chris Bieneman <cbieneman at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 1. How do we make sure we continue to be able to use the command line
>> options we've been using for llc and other tools?
>>

>> In discussions about the new cl::opt API I believe the general idea was
>> that most of the options expressed using cl::opt are actually only relevant
>> as debug options, so I think one big part of this work is really going to
>> be identifying a subset of the current options which are actually relevant
>> to expose in the IR.
>>

> I think this is critical.
>
> The whole idea of cl::opt API is for *debugging* options. IE, not
> supported, expected variations on how passes behave. Those should always be
> controlled (at the LLVM API layer) through constructors and parameters, not
> through a side-layer.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding here. The patch I sent doesn't change
llvm to control the behavior of passes through cl::opt options that are
currently defined as static variables. The function attributes embedded in
the IR control the behavior. The option variables (defined as CodeGenOpt,
which is a subclass of cl:opt) have only two roles:

1. Enable parsing the option that appears in the command line.
2. Provide the default value of the option in case neither the bitcode nor
command line had the attribute/option the pass is looking for.

It isn't absolutely necessary to keep those variables in the file, they can
be safely moved to another file as long as there is a way to get the
default value.

Also, I'm not sure customizing the behavior of passes through constructors
is a good idea, Wouldn't that mean you have to instantiate the passes
multiple times if there are functions that require different behaviors in
the module?

There are parts of LLVM currently abusing the cl::opt mechanism to control