[LLVMdev] Proposal: add Go frontend subproject based on llgo

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 15:18:13 PST 2014

Hi Peter,

I don't have much experience with Go or the LLVM Go bindings so I
don't know any technical reasons for doing this but I do have a high
level question.

Why do this? In my experience having code hosted on GitHub (as llgo is
now) is quite nice because receiving contributions is much easier
(which hopefully means you will get more) and code review is simpler.
GitHub has lots of nice services (e.g. github.io pages, TravisCI and
Gitter) as well.

GitHub also has much better authentication (e.g. SSH keys and 2FA) and
repository separation where as LLVM is just one huge SVN repo where
everyone has access to every project and security isn't so good (e.g.
no 2FA, passwords are truncated to 8 characters because of the use of
CRYPT for generating the password hashes and SSLv3 is still in use).

The only advantages I can think of being a LLVM sub project are

* Your code is less likely to be silently broken by the fast passed
development of LLVM as it will trigger buildbot failures (assuming you
set one up for llgo).
* Being a sub project of LLVM gives the project more of an "official" status.

Are these the reasons enough to justify the move or are there reasons
that I've missed?

Also will llgo on GitHub disappear entirely?

Thanks,
Dan.