[LLVMdev] Proposal: add Go frontend subproject based on llgo

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:57:37 PST 2014

A quick browse through the contributors on
https://github.com/go-llvm/llgo/graphs/contributors and some searches in my
mail suggests that none of the primary contributors are part of the LLVM
community. How are they going to continue developing llgo once it is the
LLVM repo?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the advantage of having this
in-tree as an LLVM project? I typically associate the following advantages
to having something in-tree:

1. You can get the awesome code review of the LLVM community.
2. If people are changing the API, they have to fix in-tree stuff, so you
are shielded from ongoing maintenance burden.

Since the code is in go, you don't really get 1; the community speaks C++.
IIRC the bindings are based on the C API, so they are stable and so 2
doesn't apply.

What are the advantages to having it checked in to the LLVM project?

-- Sean Silva