[LLVMdev] Upcoming Changes/Additions to Scoped-NoAlias metadata

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Fri Nov 14 09:48:38 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

  int i = ...;
  T a, b;
  T * y1 = ..., y2 = ...
  {
    T * restrict x = y1;
    a = x[i];
  }
  {
    T * restrict x = y2;
    b = x[i];
  }

which becomes:

  int i = ...;
  T a, b;
  T * y1 = ..., y2 = ...
  T * x1 = @llvm.noalias(y1, !scope1);
  a = x1[i]; // alias.scope !scope1
  T * x2 = @llvm.noalias(y2, !scope2);
  b = x2[i]; // alias.scope !scope2

but can we assume that 'x1[i]' does not alias with 'x2[i]'? No.

Now one possible design here is to solve this problem by mutual dominance, but to do that, we'd need to make code motion around the @llvm.noalias calls highly restricted. I'd like to allow for as much data motion as possible.

> 2. Can you describe the case for explicitly preventing the intrinsic
> being hoisted out of a loop? Since the intrinsic generates a new
> pointer, wouldn't the interesting cases be handled by avoiding
> commoning of the intrinsic?

No, here's why. Take the following example:
  T * y = ...;
  for (int i = 0; i < 1600; ++i) {
    T * restrict x = y;
    T t = x[i];
    t += 1;
    x[i] = t;
  }

which becomes something like:

  for (int i = 0; i < 1600; ++i) {
    T * x = @llvm.noalias(y, !scope1)
    T t = x[i]; // alias.scope !scope1
    t += 1;
    x[i] = t; // alias.scope !scope1
  }

now we need to make sure that the call to @llvm.noalias is not hoisted out of the loop. In order to do that, we tag it as writing (at least to y). The problem is that, as noted in the original e-mail, when looking across loop iterations (as the loop vectorizer must do), it is important to be able to test whether or not the call to @llvm.noalias dominates the loop in question. This example is over-simplified (because there is only one pointer used in the loop), but imagine there are several such pointers used. Does that make sense?

Thanks again,
Hal