[LLVMdev] RFC: How to represent SEH (__try / __except) in LLVM IR

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Mon Nov 10 14:07:37 PST 2014

Moving this month old RFC to llvmdev. Not sure why I sent this to cfe-dev
in the first place...

---

Based on code review discussion from John, he thinks filter expressions
should be emitted into the body of the function with the try, rather than
being outlined by the frontend.

Instead of having the frontend create filter functions, we would use labels
in place of typeinfo. The IR would look like "landingpad ... catch label
%filter0 ..." instead of "landingpad ... catch ... @filter_func0 ...".
There would be a backend pass similar to SjLjEHPrepare that would outline
the filter function and cleanup actions. Once we do the outlining, there is
no turning back, because the outlined function has to know something about
the stack layout of the parent function. If the parent function is inlined,
we would have to duplicate the filter function along with it.

Given that we want this kind of outlining to handle cleanups, it shouldn't
be difficult to use the same machinery for filter expressions.

The IR sample for safe_div at the end of my RFC would look like this
instead:

define i32 @safe_div(i32 %n, i32 %d) {
entry:
  %d.addr = alloca i32, align 4
  %n.addr = alloca i32, align 4
  %r = alloca i32, align 4
  store i32 %d, i32* %d.addr, align 4
  store i32 %n, i32* %n.addr, align 4
  invoke void @try_body(i32* %r, i32* %n.addr, i32* %d.addr)
          to label %__try.cont unwind label %lpad

filter:
  %eh_code = call i32 @llvm.eh.seh.exception_code() ; or similar
  %cmp = icmp eq i32 %eh_code, 0xC0000094
  %r = zext i1 %cmp to i32
  call void @llvm.eh.seh.filter(i32 %r)

lpad:
  %0 = landingpad { i8*, i32 } personality i8* bitcast (i32 (...)*
@__C_specific_handler to i8*)
          catch label %filter
  store i32 0, i32* %r, align 4
  br label %__try.cont