[LLVMdev] [RFC] New ToolsSupport library for stuff that only tools need

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Nov 7 09:09:18 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:

> 1. I would like to see some of the code in LLVM's ADT and Support
> libraries available for reuse in other projects. This also has some
> potential for being useful to Clang -- one could imagine a world where
> Clang directly linked the ADT & Support libraries, but used the compiler
> itself via a clear dynamic-library vended API (which would be unrealistic
> to expect the ADT & Support libraries would ever want to provide).

I don't think this is relevant or possible. The IR interfaces used by Clang
are extensive and not likely to be reasonable dynamic library vended APIs.
And in general, I don't think we should design based on this very
speculative future.

3. I also see a good argument for having a ToolsSupport library, as a place
> for all of the very-LLVM(the compiler) specific functionality that would
> have no place in a shared Support library (for any number of reasons: lack
> of generality, invasiveness, or because they add substantial other
> dependencies).

I agree in principle, but I don't think the signal handling or crash
recovery are actually relevant for this -- they're very general, just only
useful for executable applications as opposed to useful for things like the
LLVM libraries in WebKit.