[LLVMdev] [RFC] Exhaustive bitcode compatibility tests for IR features

Steven Wu stevenwu at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 16:38:49 PST 2014

Sorry for sending the mail again. Including LLVMdev this time.

Hi

I have chance to work more on this topic. I was experimenting the idea of auto-generating all the IR tests because the amount of intrinsics and their variations exist in LLVM.
My attempt is to write a C++ bitcode generator that iterate through all the TableGen and enum structures in the LLVM to generate all the bitcode using LLVM APIs. This should be an easy way to generate a bitcode test that is up-to-date on top of the trunk. I have a first working version taking care of intrinsics, globals (and most of its features) and some instructions. It also generates all the CHECKs at the same time. However there are quite some problems around this approach. First of all, informations encoded in the TableGens for intrinsics are not precise enough to generate good tests and some of them are even wrong (but not exposed, I will bring up the details in the end of the email). Second, the part I finished is the “easy” part in which lots of tests can be generated in batch. The rest of the test generation will require more coding and more careful planning. So before I spend lots of time to write up more features, I would like to have some feedback from the list.

I am not sure how many people support writing such tool and have it in the trunk. It uses LLVM API which is also subject to change (but also a pain to change). The benefit is to have a IR tests that is up-to-date and we can easily acquire a bitcode test from any point of the history. When we make a release, we can simply run this tool to have a frozen version of Bitcode in the repo. It is also good in testing the robustness of the API which allows my to patch few bugs along the way. If people like to see this tool, I can start a review soon for the part I finished and try to get it in the trunk. I might need some help to finish the rest, because all the recent changes that involves bitcode. Otherwise, I will finish my bitcode test file by hand written the rest of the tests, combine them with my current output and what Michael contributed earlier.

For people who interested in why intrinsics TableGen information is not precise and accurate, the main reason is that we simply ignores all type specified with LLVMAnyPointerType. LLVMAnyPointerType essentially support all types and encode the name into the function name. I found the original intention to add LLVMAnyPointerType is to specify a pointer of certain type in any address space, but it seems never care about the type. What makes it worse is that, since the verifier is not checking its type, many intrinsics actually has the wrong type definition. For example, int_aarch_neon_st2 is defined as (llvm_anyvector_ty, LLVMMatchType<0>, LLVMAnyPointerType<LLVMMatchType<0>>), but in reality, it has type like (v8i8, v8i8, i8*) instead of (v8i8, v8i8, v8i8*). I write up a patch myself to check all types in LLVMAnyPointerType and many regression tests failed. I cannot find a way to fix all the testcase failures without breaking the bitcode compatibility. I currently generate all of the variation of them since they are “valid” bitcode for current version.

Steven