[LLVMdev] lifetime.start/end clarification

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Wed Nov 5 12:39:38 PST 2014

On 5 November 2014 11:51, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

It removes them because it does (or will) remove the associated alloca
anyways as part of turning loads and stores into SSA. There's no need for
lifetime intrinsic equivalents on SSA given that we have use-lists and
tools like the dominator tree.

> > and both should be remodeled to just mean "store of
> > undef bytes to this memory".
>
> This is a bad idea. Stores of undef bytes can be removed if we can prove
> that the address is dereferenceable. And if they can't be removed, then
> they have side effects that can't ever be removed. Please don't do that.

I think the idea is to define them with the semantics of storing undef
bytes, but keep them implemented as intrinsic function calls, so that the
optimizer does not simply delete them. It's a way of communicating that
these are deliberate and valuable stores to undef, as opposed to stores of
SSA values that were later found to be undef.