[LLVMdev] lifetime.start/end clarification

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Nov 5 11:17:33 PST 2014

On 11/05/2014 10:54 AM, Reid Kleckner wrote:

>     This seems fine to me.  The optimizer can (soundly) conclude that
>     %p is dead after the "lifetime.end" (for the two instructions),
>     and dead before the "lifetime.start" (for the *single* instruction
>     in that basic block, *not* for the previous BB).  This seems like
>     the proper result for this example, am I missing something?
>

> What if I put that in a loop, unroll it once, and prove that the
> lifetime.start is unreachable? We would end up with IR like:
>
> loop:
>   ... use %p
>   call void @lifetime.end( %p )
>   ... use %p
>   call void @lifetime.end( %p )
>   br i1 %c, label %loop, label %exit
>
> Are the second uses of %p uses of dead memory?
It's hard to discuss this without being specific about the starting IR
and transforms.  My general response is that either a) such a transform
wouldn't be valid or b) the behaviour of the original program was
undefined.

In the particular final IR result you gave, the second use of %p would
be dead.  Moreover, if the optimizer can prove this loop iterates at
least once, *all access* to %p in the loop is dead. This is exactly the
semantics you want.

> We have similar issues if the optimizer somehow removes the lifetime
> end and keeps the start:
>
> loop:
>   call void @lifetime.start( %p )
>   ... use %p
>   call void @lifetime.start( %p )
>   ... use %p
>   br i1 %c, label %loop, label %exit
But we can't just drop arbitrary calls.  Doing so is unsound.

> For this reason, it has been suggested that these intrinsics are
> horribly broken, and both should be remodeled to just mean "store of
> undef bytes to this memory". If "use %p" is a load, for example, in
> both cases we can safely say it returns undef, because it's a
> use-after-scope.
I'm not actually intrinsically opposed to just an alternative.  I would
like to see a concrete example justifying the proposal though.  Nothing
said in this thread to date warrants redefining these intrinsics.

Worth stating explicitly: your proposed semantics are strictly *less
powerful* than the current ones.  They may be "simpler", but you loose
optimization possibilities.

> I think coming up with a new representation with simpler semantics is
> the way to go. One allocation or lifetime start, and one deallocation
> and end.
At least so far, I disagree.  I am open to being convinced though. :)

> Implementing this in Clang will be tricky, though. Clang's IRGen is
> supposed to be a dumb AST walk, but it has already strayed from that
> path. Needs more thought...
Do you have motivating cases other than a goto into a scoped region?
That seems like a fairly straight forward "special case". How far would
you get by special casing a few cases that matter and leaving the
general problem unsolved?  At worst, you're missing an optimization here.