[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Daniel Sanders Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com
Wed Nov 5 05:37:13 PST 2014

> Installation prefix is set using the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX cache
> variable. You can set it at configure time,
>
> $ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/root/usr/local
> /path/to/llvm/src

This touches on a point where I think cmake is a bit weak for end users. With autotools, pretty much everything an end-user needs to know is in './configure --help' and it doesn't normally have too much information. CMake doesn't really have a good equivalent for this. It's clearly trying to achieve the same kind of thing through --help-variable-list, --help-variables, and '--help-variable var' but the latter requires you to know the variable name and the former two print _everything_ (including things like CMAKE_ARGC, and CMAKE_ARGV0). To summarize, CMake is fairly well documented in my opinion but it doesn't guide the end-user very well.

That said, I'm broadly in favour of dropping autotools support. CMake builds are significantly faster in my experience (especially with ninja and BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON) and I'm not keen on the testing burden of supporting two build systems.

Tom: You probably already know this but one thing to mention is that utils/release/test-release.sh currently does an autotools-based build.