[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Mon Nov 3 05:31:20 PST 2014

On 03 Nov 2014, at 13:28, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2014, at 12:17, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> wrote:

>>> For the FreeBSD base system, we use a bmake-based build system for LLVM,
>>> but that is based on the Makefiles generated by CMake.  I believe that
>>> we're now using CMake for the version of LLVM in ports.
>>
>> The primary question is how do you create Config.h and friends,
>> especially the tools version during early release build.
>
> We keep the version generated by CMake in the source tree for the version in base.  For the version in ports, CMake generates it when it builds.

Actually, the llvm/clang config.h (and other .def) files in FreeBSD are generated by autoconf.  For the rest we indeed use bmake, but this infrastructure is mostly cobbled together manually.  I only use the autoconf build output to determine which libraries are required by each llvm/clang tool, and in which order they are linked.

-Dimitry