[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Sun Nov 2 07:47:23 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 06:36:44AM -0800, Tim Northover wrote:
> > Requiring cmake for NetBSD is not acceptable as it is almost as heavy as
> > a C++ compiler itself. That said, I don't really care about the
> > Makefiles, just about configure and the associated loggic to craete
> > Config.h and friends. I would expect FreeBSD to have similar concerns.
>
> I don't think the extra dependency is a compelling enough reason to
> hold back everyone else.

configure.ac itself is several orders of magnitude less maintainance
cost. I already said that I don't care about the Makefiles and FreeBSD
like doesn't either. Heck, I don't mind being the maintainer for it as
long as I get at least a friendly ping when a new feature check is added
to the cmake build system.

Joerg