[LLVMdev] compiler-rt: library paths and file names

Michele Scandale michele.scandale at gmail.com
Mon May 26 11:54:11 PDT 2014

Hi all,

in my group we are working on compiler-rt and we would like to ask few
clarifications:
-  is there a specific reason to not include in compiler-rt 'crt' related files
(to generate crti.o, crtbegin.o, crtend.o, crtn.o and so on)?
-  about file naming: what was the ratio behind the choice to differentiate
output files between architectures on a suffix basis instead of a directory basis?

In example now we have the following:

  ${prefix}/lib/clang/${clang_version}/lib/${os}/libclang_rt.${arch}.a

why this is better than something like

  ${prefix}/lib/clang/${clang_version}/lib/${arch}/${os}/libclang_rt.a

?

>From the clang driver point of view this won't change nothing, but IMHO having a
distinct folder for each target would better ensure a strong separation between
libraries of different targets.

Thanks in advance for the attention.

Best regards,

Michele Scandale