[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Code generation for noexcept functions

Stephan Tolksdorf st at quanttec.com
Wed May 14 08:38:12 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-13 23:26, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Stephan Tolksdorf <st at quanttec.com
> <mailto:st at quanttec.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-05-11 Richard Smith wrote:
>
>         On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Stephan Tolksdorf
>         <st at quanttec.com <mailto:st at quanttec.com>
>         <mailto:st at quanttec.com <mailto:st at quanttec.com>>> wrote:
>
>              Hi,
>
>              When clang/LLVM can't prove that a noexcept function only
>         contains
>              non-throwing code, it seems to insert an explicit exception
>         handler
>              that calls std::terminate. Why doesn't clang leave it to the eh
>              personality function to call std::terminate when an
>         exception is
>              thrown inside a noexcept function, as GCC does?
>

>         As far as I can see, this is impossible to represent in LLVM IR. (If
>         there is a way, I'm sure we'd be happy to make clang emit that IR.)
>

>     Thanks for the reply! Do you or maybe somebody else have an opinion
>     on what the best way would be to efficiently support this case in
>     LLVM IR?
>

> Here's a reduced testcase:
>
> void f();
> void g() noexcept { f(); }
>
> One obvious approach would be to emit the call to 'f' as a 'call', not
> an 'invoke', with some attribute indicating that the program is
> terminated if it unwinds. (We can't use 'nounwind' for this, because
> that gives us UB on unwind, not a call to terminate.)
>
> Not-very-well-thought-through strawman: add a function attribute to
> indicate that that the function does not return if a call unwinds (and
> pass it the personality function so that we can generate the right CFI
> stuff).
>
> call void @_Z1fv() terminateonunwind(i32 (...)* @__gxx_personality_v0)
>
> This would result in a call that is not covered by any range in the call
> site table in the calling function's LSDA.

I suppose the principal alternative would be to introduce a "terminate"
clause to the landingpad instruction.

One difficulty of implementing either approach seems to be that LLVM
will need to synthesize an actual terminate call when it inlines a
"terminateonunwind" call to a function that contains an invoke without a
catch-all clause and there's no direct way to represent the terminate
action in the LSDA.

> Another case:
>
> void h() noexcept { try { f(); } catch (int) {} }
>
> Here, I don't think there's a better representation than the one we're
> currently using (though we should at least omit the pointless
> __cxa_begin_catch immediately before our synthesized call to
> std::terminate).

If landingpad had a terminate clause, you could leave the synthesizing
of the terminate call to LLVM in this case too.

The call to __cxa_begin_catch seems to be due to llvm.org/PR11893. The
libsupc++ and libc++abi personality functions also call
__cxa_begin_catch before calling std::terminate when possible.

One (ugly) way to prevent clang/LLVM from generating bloated code for
noexcept functions that contain calls to functions which are known to be
non-throwing for the specified arguments but which aren't annotated as
noexcept is to move the calls to an inline wrapper function with
__attribute__((nothrow)). I'll probably resort to this workaround for my
code.

- Stephan