[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.4.2 Release Plan - Testers Needed

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon May 12 08:57:35 PDT 2014

Hi,

I would like to begin the 3.4.2 release process for LLVM.  There have
been two issues identified in 3.4.1, which there is interest in having
fixed in a 3.4.x release:

1. Build failure with gcc 4.9 (This is not a regression, 3.4 also fails
to build with gcc 4.9).

2. Accidental change of libLLVM's DT_SONAME  from libLLVM-3.4
libLLVM-3.4.1.so

I will also accept any other bug-fixes that people want to submit as
long as they conform to the rules of stable releases:
http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html#release-patch-rules

In order to get these fixes out quickly, we will have a very short period
for nominating bug-fixes, followed by our usually stable release testing phase.

Here is an approximate schedule:

Monday, May 12 to Thursday, May 15: Nominate bug-fixes for the 3.4 branch.
Friday, May 16 to Friday, May 23:   Testing Phase I
Monday, May 25:                     Release or Phase II of testing if necessary.

If you are interested in helping with release qualification testing
of  3.4.2, send me an email with the target, operating system and host
compiler you can test with.  Since we have fixes specifically for gcc
4.9 in this release we need some testers who can test with gcc 4.9.

Besides release qualification, it will be helpful to have people building
the 3.4 branch with gcc 4.9 and looking for potential issues.  This can be
done before the testing phase once the gcc 4.9 fixes have landed.

I have a busy schedule in the next month, so I would like to have one or more
backup up release managers, in case I am unable to make this release in a timely
manner.  If you are interested in this, let me know.

Thanks,
Tom