[LLVMdev] parallel loop metadata question

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Mon May 5 01:14:01 PDT 2014

On 05/02/2014 07:22 PM, Humphreys, Jonathan wrote:
> Thanks for the link.  I understand your concern of caution with metadata.
> I cannot, though, imagine how the dependence relation (independence) of two
> memory references can be affected by a third memory reference.  If two
> references are independent across loop iterations, then they are
> independent, and any other load or store cannot change that.  Right?

Yes, it makes sense. I'm mostly concerned about accesses to stack,
but even those at this point should remain independent. Otherwise even
the current semantics might produce broken code with parallel stack accesses.

However, as this is such a major semantics change to the original one, I'd
like to hear more opinions on it. I suggest you create a (documentation)
patch where the new semantics is articulated and request comments for it at
the LLVM-commits list.

--
Pekka