[LLVMdev] Proposal: add intrinsics for safe division

Jeff Bezanson jeff.bezanson at gmail.com
Fri May 2 08:53:40 PDT 2014

I just want to chime in that I'd love to see something done about safe
division in LLVM. In my opinion, the problem is that division that is
both (1) as fast as possible, (2) has no undefined behavior is simply
not available in LLVM. I'd be happy with target-specific intrinsics.
That way if some architecture happens to do what your language wants,
and you're targeting that architecture, you can choose to emit that
intrinsic. This strikes me as a simpler and less contentious first
step than adding a generic intrinsic that favors one architecture or
another. I'd also be happy with a way to represent traps in LLVM IR,
and have a branch+trap recognized and lowered to a raw div instruction
on x86. But IIUC that is a much bigger can of worms.