[LLVMdev] Contributing the Apple ARM64 compiler backend

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Mar 31 12:54:06 PDT 2014

On 31 March 2014 20:43, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2.      Performance on A53. But isn't it really just the scheduling model
>> that needs updating? There are no A53-specific optimizations in
>> Target/AArch64 that I know of.
>
> Agreed. There could be some small codegen changes, I'm not familiar
> with the A53.

I don't think there are any A53 specific optimization in the AArch64 back-end.

GCC used the A15 tune as a starting point for A53 specific tuning and
it's *a lot* better than what LLVM produces already.

Not to mention that auto-vectorization is not turned on by default on
AArch64, another thing that would improve massively the quality of the
code gen, does the ARM64 have it on?

cheers,
--renato