[LLVMdev] Contributing the Apple ARM64 compiler backend

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Mar 28 13:36:29 PDT 2014

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I think this is a really great
roadmap.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM, James Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:

> 1. Import the ARM64 backend into the public tree so it’s easily accessible
> for everyone to investigate.

I support this, and would ask that this be done essentially right away. I
don't think patches are going to be reasonable ways to evaluate this. I
have two specific reasons for thinking this is a good thing to do
essentially "right away":

1) It comes from existing long-time and very experienced community members,
so I have no concerns over either coding convention adherence or long term
maintenance problems.

2) This is complex enough and requires enough study that a patch series is
completely infeasible.

I'd like to hear from the existing AArch64 backend maintainers if they have
any concerns about getting #1 done right away?