[LLVMdev] Multi stage code emission using MC Layer

Rahman Lavaee rlavaee at cs.rochester.edu
Tue Mar 25 19:55:43 PDT 2014

I'm trying to write an interprocedural code generator (in which basic
blocks of a single function are not guaranteed to be contiguous) and
evaluate the effect icache locality optimizations.

In order to be independent from the llvm pass infrastructure, I would like
to do this in the MC Layer. So first I want to emit MC code along with
basic block identifiers in the original layout, then read the MC code back
in and lay the basic blocks in my interprocedural layout.

Is X86 AsmPrinter capable of emitting (and reading) MC Instructions? Has
this ever been done?