[LLVMdev] LLD: Layout-after and layout-before

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Fri Mar 21 16:38:44 PDT 2014

Thank you for quick responses!

As to dead stripping, if dead stripping is the only pass we need
bi-directional edges, we might want the dead stripping pass to construct
internal data structure by reversing the graph to construct layout-before
edges from layout-after edges. This should be less error prone than
maintaining two reverse-directional edges throughout all passes. Of course
it will make time for dead stripping proportional to the number of all
atoms, rather than live ones. It looks traversing graph is surprisingly
cheep so I guess it wouldn't matter, but it needs investigation.

It's interesting that ELF no longer uses layout-before's. I agree that that
would be simpler than using both layout-after and layout-before.

I'll try to modify the dead-stripping pass as I described above. Any
concerns?