[LLVMdev] RFC: Instrumentation based profiling file libraries

Diego Novillo dnovillo at google.com
Thu Mar 13 05:02:36 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Justin Bogner <mail at justinbogner.com> wrote:

> - This library could either be (A) a standalone library for reading and
>   writing the instrumentation based profiling format, or (B) a library
>   that includes readers and writers for various profiling formats.
>   Notably, (B) would make it a good place for a sample based profile
>   reader, which currently lives in lib/Transforms with its usage.

Agreed. Option (B) seems like the best alternative.

> - If we go with (A), a name like Profile may be too generic, so something
>   more specific like InstrProfile might be better. For (B), Profile or
>   ProfileData seem best.

Either Profile or ProfileData sounds good to me. Slight preference for
ProfileData. I could move the reader code from
lib/Transforms/SampleProfile into this library, which could then be
used into standalone sample profile readers/validators/converters.

Where do you envision having the standalone tools?  Say a converter
from one profile format to another, or a writer tool. Some tools will
have slightly more twisted dependencies (converting from Perf data,
for example requires quite a bit of other code).

Diego.