[LLVMdev] release procedure questions

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon Mar 10 14:53:53 PDT 2014

I'm trying to understand how Mips will fit into the official release
procedure.

There are two Mips compilers:
   1) The X86 resident llvm/clang compiler that can generate code for
various Mips targets.
   2) The Mips resident compiler (on linux or bsd or other) which would
generate code primarily for that same host.

How does this fit into the release structure?

We would like to make sure that the released X86 hosted Clang/LLVM
compiler has been tested for all the Mips targets that we support.

We would like to produce a Mips hosted LLVM compiler for official LLVM
distribution that can at least generate code for that same Mips host and
probably
all Mips targets but most likely it would be beyond our resources to
test that as a cross compiler to various other LLVM
targets. I.e. we can't tell if we can generate correct code the Hexagon
processor beyond running whatever is in "make check".
Should we be building our Mips native compiler so that it only supports
the Mips target for example; if that is all we can test?

I'm unclear exactly how we fit into this release process given what I
have described above.

Tia.

Reed