[LLVMdev] Evaluating the register allocators

Najem Eldeen Abu Rmaileh ermeleh at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 14:15:06 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate the different register allocation algorithms on LLVM using the same level of optimizations. Using version 3.3 the current register allocators available to use are "basic, fast, greedy and pbqp". However, I'm facing the following issues:

1) I can't run basic and PBQP allocators using the command line flags of the dragonegg (-fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option="-regalloc:basic"). I get this error message "for the -regalloc option: Cannot find option named 'pbqp'!" or basic. Note that I didn't get this error when I used the LLC tool.

2) I can't run the fast register allocator while using the "O1/O2/O3" optimizations flags. Is there any purpose behind disabling this pass while the optimizations are enabled?

Thanks,
Najem.