[LLVMdev] The implementation algorithm behind LLVM's RegionInfo class

Paul Vario paul.paul.mit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:43:07 PDT 2014

Thanks very much for the quick response. I have read the text many times,
but it was not very clear to me why checking the two conditions involving
dominance frontiers is equivalent to proving the pair {entry, exit} defines
a refined region. I was asking for an mathematical proof really. It sounds
to me like there should be a theorem or two in the graph theory endorsing
it. Or do you mean, the implementation is solely based on empirical
observation instead of theory. The reason I am interested in the
formalization is that I find the current RegionInfo implementation very
helpful in defining regions in between barriers in the OpenCL
implementation on CPU. I haven't found a test case that breaks it. I got
the right intuition, just could not figure out a way to formally prove it,
neither did I find one in your regioninfo draft.

Thanks,
Paul