[LLVMdev] -gcolumn-info and PR 14106

Robinson, Paul Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com
Thu Jun 26 12:55:08 PDT 2014

> > Turning it on does more than slightly increase the object file size, it
> can
> > cause the same source line to be listed multiple times in the
> .debug_line
> > table (with different column numbers).  This can be confusing to
> debuggers
> > that ignore column info, or possibly to the users who expect “set
> breakpoint
> > on line 12” to set one breakpoint and it actually sets 4. “How come
> nothing
> > happens when I hit Continue?”
> >

> Honestly IMO this is a "please fix your debugger, it has bugs" issue.
>
> -eric

What the committee calls "a quality of implementation issue" :-)
No real argument from me.  I've had that problem at previous jobs tho.
We currently assume there's no column info but I expect we can learn
to cope.  People do get twitchy about size, but if it's really in the
1% range that's okay.
--paulr